Dec 15, 2009

Ai wei

Yes, that's me. A lot of people won't know that's my name cos they're so used to calling me Joan. But at home, my family and relatives call me Ai Wei. Some close frens occasionally call me Ai Wei too. It's a nice name isn't it? :P

Many find it weird that i have an english name in my IC but i'm not a christian. I am a Buddhist and proud to be one :D
I was told that it's my family tradition to have an english name, all my cousins surnamed Yee have an english name in their IC. Anyway, the name Joan was given by my dad. He said he wanted me to grow up to be as strong as Joan of Arc, considering that being the youngest child, i'm the most pampered and protected one in the family. I'm a cry baby, lol...yes, i am. My mum always says i have 'crying' eyes, i even have a big mole below my right eye (which to some Chinese masters meant eyes for crying)

Ironic. But i think my name got twisted somehow to Joanne, instead of Joan. Maybe that's why i dont have the power of Joan of Arc! That explains why i'm such an emotional and weak girl! :P

You see, my name got twisted to Joanne when i was in standard 1. During my first day in school, my class teacher (i still remember her name, Pn Sapura!) pronounced my name as Joe-An, just like how malay would pronounced it. And from that day on, everyone in class started calling me that, up until now. No one corrected that teacher for some reason and i myself got stuck with that name. I got so used to the name Joanne that i even introduce myself as Joanne. :D

Lol. So that's the history of my name. :D

6 comments:

Eddy said...

inspired by me...

jy said...

lol..Yea, thanks to you Eddy!

Malicious said...

And I was wondering who Ai Wei was! I'm gonna change my MSN name to Shiong Wai next time, but unfortunately my emaill address will blow the prank.

jy said...

Garry, lol...we both have chinese name "wei" but different wei...
Haha..yes, ur email is too obvious! Btw, enjoy Frangipani this friday! :P

Malicious said...

*gasp* You shouldn't reveal where I'm going. Now people are going to think all sorts of nonsense, haha!

Elaine Kwan said...

hahahaa... me wanna go frangipani too... =(